Tuesday, January 01, 2013

So, about that blogging thing...

If you're a regular visitor to this blog, you'll notice that it's trended from somewhat active to mostly inactive in the course of the past year (also, if you're a regular visitor to this blog who isn't Adam, Nat Wu or myself, I'd like to send you some money by way of thanks.) If you've ever wandered over to this blog by way of Three Wise Men (also trending towards defunctitude) you might know that the three of us started this blog so we'd have a more appropriate venue than a serious political blog for our irreverent and/or offensive posts (and also because we got kicked off of the blog that originally served that purpose...a blog which, I am pleased to say, is considerably more defunct than even this one is.) Unfortunately as each of us has grown up and taken on more responsibilities (such as starting families and holding down jobs for any decent length of time) the time we each have to blog has greatly decreased. I've also found, at least in my personal experience, that social media has become the go-to for just about any opinion I care to share with the internet, for two primary reasons: one, because it's much easier to Tweet/Facebook/Google Plus a humorous link with a snarky and/or witty comment, than it is to come here and craft a blog post and two, because those tweets and posts get considerably more exposure than anything written here does. This has unfortunately encouraged the bad habit of crafting posts tailored for those mediums, which are considerably more limited than the blog format. If something doesn't fit those mediums well, I typically either pass on sharing it, or share it in a more stilted form than what I could accomplish in the traditional blog format. I've experienced some frustration in that regard, but since the alternative seemed to be doing the work of actually writing a blog post, I've seen fit to let it go for the most part. But I was reminded of how pleasurable it can be to blog when I put together my music post yesterday, something that's simply not possible in the social media format. So I think I'm going to give this blogging thing another shot.

Now I have to admit, there's a part of me that feels like I'm going a little retro when I say I want to start regularly blogging again. I can't say I've done any solid research on the issue, but I imagine that the effect that social media has had on me is largely the same effect it's had on just about everyone, and that just about everyone is blogging less than they used to back in the early aughts when blogs were the primary outlet for self-expression online. Still, in my limited experience, there appear to be quite a few people who are not only maintaining blogs that predate the social media explosion, but have actually started blogs rather than consign all of their material to social media outlets. If they can start blogging, then surely I can resume it. 

As I said, there are really no limits to what we like to cover here. We tend to focus on gaming, humiliating stories of our past (both combined even), various internet strangeness, and random "serious" music posts. That being said, I'm happy to accept suggestions on what I should be writing about from cool kids who know better than I do. Tips are appreciated (if not remunerated.)  

Anyway, so I guess this is a long way of saying that my New Year's resolution for 2013 is to blog more. Which was probably also my New Year's resolution for 2006 or 2007, now that I think about it. The more things change...




0 comments: